An important function of TRB is to stimulate research that addresses concerns, issues, or problems facing the transportation community. To this end, ADD40 is tasked with developing a research agenda and disseminating research results that relate to sustainable transportation. This research portal has been created to post up-to-date information relating to ADD40’s research activities.
Since many existing TRB committees focus on specific sustainability-related issues – such as air quality, energy, land development, alternative fuels, and climate change – ADD40 views sustainability as an overarching, holistic concept. Thus, the Committee is focused on promoting research that integrates the triple bottom line of environmental, societal, and economic considerations.
TRB Committees Interested in Sustainability
- Synthesis Program Deadlines (February 15, 2016 for Highway (NCHRP) studies, March 15, 2016 for Transit (TCRP) studies, and September 2016 for Airport (ACRP) studies)
- NCHRP Highway IDEA program (March 1, 2016 and September 1, 2016)
- Calendar of Funding Program Deadlines
TRB Webinar: Using the Updated TRID Interface
- TRB will conduct a webinar on January 26, 2016, from 2:00pm to 3:30pm ET that will provide benefits to new and veteran TRID users by featuring ways to use the new “search history” feature to its maximum benefit.
Open Research Projects
RNS Under Development
The following research needs statements (RNS) are under development. Please edit the Google Docs as needed.
- National Frameworks for Sustainable Transportation Planning and Policy
- Combining the Results from NCHRP 750 and NCHRP 708
RNS Endorsed by ADD40
- AFS40 – Use of Recycled and By-Product Material in Soil-Structures
- ADD20 – Implementation Strategies for Health Components of Transportation Plans
- ADD20 – Improving Access to Healthy Food through Transportation Projects and Policies
- ADD20 – Data for Health and Transportation Planning and Programs
Useful Information and Links
Summary of Research Programs (each research program can also be accessed by selecting a link below)