We are currently updating our mission and scope. The mission and scope are drawn from our draft version of the Triennial Strategic Plan, available here.
The mission of the Committee is to advance the understanding of sustainability as it relates to the transportation sector, and to facilitate the development and implementation of research addressing transportation sustainability. The Committee will serve the Transportation Research Board (TRB) to achieve its mission by addressing the following goals:
- Goal 1 – Advance the understanding of sustainability as it relates to the transportation sector
- Goal 2 – Develop a research agenda and promote the funding of research projects that further the goals of sustainability
- Goal 3 – Effectively communicate and coordinate the committee’s role and activities with internal and external stakeholders
- Goal 4 – Act as the ‘go to’ Committee or clearinghouse for TRB on the issue of sustainability
This Committee describes sustainability as meeting the needs of current and future generations in terms of economic vitality, social equity, and a healthy environment (i.e., the triple bottom line).
The Committee addresses the broad topic of sustainability, and does not focus on individual sustainability-related issues that are covered by other TRB Committees, such as air quality, energy, land development, alternative fuels, and climate change. The Committee views sustainability as an overarching, holistic concept. The Committee addresses the integration of the larger societal goals of the economy, environment, and equity by considering transportation’s key role in this endeavor.
- Steve Cliff, Chair. Senior Advisor to the Chair, California Air Resources Board.
- Seth Stark, Vice Chair. Sustainable Transportation Manager, Washington State Department of Transportation
- Ahsan Habib, Research Subcommittee Chair and Committee Research Coordinator (CRC). Associate Professor of Transportation Engineering and Planning, Dalhousie University
- Giovanni Circella, Communications Subcommittee Chair and Committee Communications Coordinator (CCC). Senior Research Engineer, Georgia Institute of Technology and University of California, Davis.
- Henrik Gudmundsson, Sustainability Measurement Co-Chair. Senior Researcher, Technical University of Denmark.
- Daniel Hardy, Sustainability Measurement Co-Chair. Principal, Renaissance Planning Group.
- Yanzhi “Ann” Xu, Conference and Session Planning Chair. Senior Technical Advisor, Department of Energy
- John MacArthur, Paper Review Chair. Sustainable Transportation Program Manager, Oregon Transportation Research and Education Consortium (OTREC).
- Ahsan Habib, Associate Professor of Transportation Engineering and Planning, Dalhousie University
- April Marchese, Director, Office of Natural and Human Environment, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- Richard Baldauf. Research Scientist, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- David Carlson. Director of Sustainable Development, Parsons Transportation Group, Inc.
- Regina Clewlow. Dir. of Transportation Research and Policy/ Researcher RideScout/ UC Davis
- Josh De Florio. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
- George Dondero. Executive Director, Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission.
- Mikhail Chester. Assistant Professor, Arizona State University.
- Richard Hanley. Connecticut Department of Transportation.
- Ann Hartell. Doctoral Candidate, Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Tina Hodges. Environmental Protection Specialist, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).
- Stephen Ison. Professor of Transport Policy, Loughborough University.
- Stephen Muench. Associate Professor , University of Washington.
- Debra Nelson, Strategic Policy Advisor, New York State Department of Transportation.
- Michelle Oswald Beiler, Assistant Professor, Bucknell University.
- O. Sam Salem, Chair Professor, Syracuse University.
- Shoshanna Saxe, University of Cambridge.
- Guillaume Shearin, Senior Transportation Economist, Atkins North America, Inc.
- Tim Sexton, Construction and Operations Section Director, Environmental Stewardship, Minnesota Dept. of Transportation
- Damon Fordham, Principal, Sustainable Transportation Practice, Cadmus
- Tien-Tien Chan, Conference and Session Planning Chair. Principal Planner, City of Austin.
- Ralph Hall, Assistant Professor, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech).
- Elise Barrella, Young Member. James Madison University.
- Denise Brookins, Young Member. Atlanta International Airport.
- Ariane Burwell, Young Member. Sustainability Consultant, Environmental Resources Management.
- Tara Ramani, Young Member. Environment and Air Quality Division, Texas A&M Transportation Institute.